Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Civil rights? We need no stinkin' civil rights!

So it's done, the EU parliament votes for data retention plan. What does it mean for a plain citizen like me? First of all I'll pay for that in my telephone bill (someone said the telcos should take the cost on them - what world is this guy living in??!??), another drawback is that the data about all my connections (even to this blog) will be kept for at least six months and that it won't be anonimised like it should be done now when it isn't used for billing purposes. It just will sit there waiting to be stolen. Now, one could say that only proper government agencies are allowed to view it, but who will take care to ensure that? It's could be done if one would encrypt them with a public key for which the private one is only in the hands of the proper authorities, but I don't know of any legislation which requires that. I have no idea if this would be even enforceable, there would be to many agencies which would need the private key. I have no idea what the future will bring us, I fear that for a few years will have scenes like in Nineteen Eighty-Four especially here in Poland where the government is trying to think for the citizens what is right and what is wrong.
Ehhh, we will see...
Polish users can find more info under VaGla.pl.
Have a nice day and don't stop fighting for you rights!

No comments: